[Pdns-users] Building the latest version from source...

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Sep 6 18:25:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:22:22PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	Well, I'm updating this material, and I'd like to try to make
> sure that I do a better job this time.  I know that FreeBSD has a

Anything we can do to help, let us know.

> 	In all the reading I've done, I didn't see any strong indications
> as to what the preferred operations environment is, whether that's
> still MySQL or now PostgreSQL, or maybe LDAP, or perhaps something
> else has become the new preferred configuration.

I think a well-tuned PostgreSQL won't be any slower than MySQL out of the
box. In my experience, MySQL is fast out of the box. Some of the biggest
PowerDNS deployments (many millions of domains per server) have been with
PostgreSQL though.

> <http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2005-September/002590.html>),
> and followed the link to the wiki HACKING page at
> <http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/wiki/HACKING>, but I'm not sure if
> I should be trying to build the latest out of Subversion, or if I'm okay
> sticking with 2.9.18.

If you want to benchmark bind compatibility mode, you'd do people a favour
by testing against 2.9.19-to-be or Subversion, as that will be the default
from now on.

I'd suggest testing in MySQL mode and in Bind compatability mode. Also don't
hesitate to contact me if you experience problems.

Be sure to read http://doc.powerdns.com/performance.html !

Good luck.