[Pdns-users] SQL backend type question - wildcard matching

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Oct 11 21:59:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 01:44:02PM -0600, Laurence Brockman wrote:

> exists in the database (Which is easy with a non-wildcard entry) but we also
> need an efficient way of matching that against a wildcard entry. What SQL
> query do you guys use? I looked at the source code and found

PowerDNS open codes this and explicitly looks for a wildcard record in the
database. In DNS wildcard records are also regular records, you can do this:

dig -t a *.powerdns.com

And if there is a *.powerdns.com record, it will get returned as
*.powerdns.com.

So PowerDNS doesn't do any special wildcard lookups.