[Pdns-users] hints-file format

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Nov 19 15:46:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 02:31:27AM +1100, Peter Fern wrote:
> How difficult would it be to support a scheme similar to the djbdns
> 'root/servers/' list of NS to query on a per tld basis, for example we
> currently use:

Not something we are planning to add, I'm afraid, there is not a lot of
demand for this feature, and a lot of public demand for other things.

> querying the backend directly - they should really only do recursion,
> and running the full pdns just to do this really seems like overkill -
> especially since this increases hits to the backend for non-existant
> domains.

It is still free though :-)

> I would think this moderately trivial to implement using something like
> a 'forward-file' in the format of:
>
> .ispname                  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

No, it is not easy, it requires 'immortal' records that have a special flag
to make sure they aren't overwritten by public answers. The records must
also not time out etc.

Sorry!