[Pdns-users] hints-file format

Peter Fern pdns at obfusc8.org
Sat Nov 19 15:31:27 UTC 2005

Umm, ok, excuse my ignorance - I was hoping that this would allow me to
enable 'fake' domains from the recursor by specifying our servers in the
list, but obviously it won't respond to the '' NS query, so a better
question that I might have asked is:

How difficult would it be to support a scheme similar to the djbdns
'root/servers/' list of NS to query on a per tld basis, for example we
currently use:

$ cat root/servers/@
198.41.0.4
128.9.0.107
192.33.4.12
128.8.10.90
192.203.230.10
192.5.5.241
192.112.36.4
128.63.2.53
192.36.148.17
198.41.0.10
193.0.14.129
198.32.64.12
202.12.27.33

$ cat root/servers/ispname
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

to make our fake internal addresses available to local users.  I realise
that I could run instances of the full pdns server that allow recursion
and query the backend for these answers using
'allow-recursion-override', but I would prefer not to have the recursors
querying the backend directly - they should really only do recursion,
and running the full pdns just to do this really seems like overkill -
especially since this increases hits to the backend for non-existant
domains.

I would think this moderately trivial to implement using something like
a 'forward-file' in the format of:

.ispname                  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

or similar...thoughts?

Cheers,
Pete