[Pdns-users] FreeBSD vs. Linux

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Nov 4 15:17:39 UTC 2005

At 9:22 AM +0100 2005-11-04, bert hubert wrote:

>  PowerDNS is consistently faster on Linux than on FreeBSD and we are working
>  on figuring out why.

	I'd be willing to bet that it has to do with threading.  FreeBSD
doesn't support POSIX threads very well, or even any other kind of
threads.

	BIND-9 compiled with SMP support and POSIX threads runs a lot
faster on Linux than on FreeBSD, and the reason is known to be
FreeBSD's current poor support for threading.  Believe me, Paul Vixie
is very keen to get this issue resolved.  ;)

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755