[Pdns-users] Authority Question

Michoel Kazen michoel at roytechmedia.com
Tue Jun 7 04:06:32 UTC 2005

Hey,

I have been reading up on all the archives of this list and can't seem
to get my answer straight. I would like to know whether or not PowerDNS
replies with the NS records in the authority section of it's reply - and
if not is it possible to enable this. Currently, doing a dig for a
domain name housed on a PDNS server, I usually only receive the SOA
under the authority section (or so the client tells me).

We are trying to delegate a part of a domain of ours, for which our PDNS
server is listed as the authority in the root servers to a third party.
We do not want to add a new zone, rather have the third-party answer
queries for specific hosts and our server for others.

Essentially, we are trying to do something of this sort: xyz.com is
registered with NS server ns1.xyz.com, any queries for *.xyz.com, if we
have a matching record (e.g. www) are answered, otherwise return
authority information - SOA & NS - ours and third party, which it does -
but only the SOA.

Would this be possible at all? When I add the NS records of the third
party - in our server (and added the corresponding A records), upon
doing a dig all I get in the authority results section is the SOA
record. Queries for the domains the third-party servers answer, are now
being returned as NXDOMAIN by our servers (understandable if the
resolver is not aware that there are additional authorities for these
records and we don't have them by us).

I don't know if I'm 100% clear here, please do let me know if I need to
explain myself better.

Thanks,
-Michael