[Pdns-users] pdns feature wish

Duane duane at e164.org
Sat Jul 16 15:26:04 UTC 2005

bert hubert wrote:

> Ok - I understand you want to transfer these 'smart' things over AXFR?

Yes... Basically our name servers are run by different companies/people
and AXFR is deemed more secure/reliable then SQL replication.

> This sounds like an extension to the regular DNS wildcard to be a real
> regex?
>
> Sounds cool - real 'embrace, extend' action.
>
> Will you be using CNAMEs? They tend to clash with wildcards when they
> overlap.

We're only utilising NAPTR and TXT records...

NAPTR for the enum.164 route records, and TXT for storing person and
company name information so when you get an incoming VoIP call you can
do a simple DNS lookup to find out who is calling you.

We also publish about 170,000 records of geographical information people
can fall back on.

eg

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;1.0.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.cc.e164.org. IN  TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
1.0.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.cc.e164.org. 604800 IN TXT "USA Ohio"

I keep meaning to add another 170,000 records but that's something to do
on a rainy day...

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."