[Pdns-users] Use user questions

Charles Galpin charles at defenderhosting.com
Sun Jul 3 21:56:29 UTC 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:

> If PDNS gets a query it can't answer itself, it'll send it to the
> recursor, which is running on the same server. The recursor will go
> get the answer from the appropriate DNS server elswhere on the
> Internet.
>
> You'll generally want to set allow-recursion to only allow certain IPs
> to make recursive queries, too.

I still haven't found the time to play with pdns, but am hoping to
soon. Can you please clarify this last statement? Is the suggested
configuration to not actually use pdns for general DNS, but just on
hand to answer for the domains it is authoritative for? If I use pdns
for all my domains would I then just run caching only dns servers as my
nameservers and they will just ask my pdns nameservers when needed?

I ask, as my goal was to replace my current dns servers with pdns ones.
I am happy to do whatever is recommended as long as I understand *why*
:)

thanks
charles