[Pdns-users] Use user questions

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Sun Jul 3 21:45:58 UTC 2005

lonnie at outstep.com wrote:
> So then are you saying that I do not need to run the dnscache?
>
> If not then I will gladly take it out.
>
> As far as the recursor, I thought that was to send the question to
> the next dns if it is not stored on the current machine.

No.

The pdns server itself only answers queries for records for which it is
authoritative... much like djbdns. It doesn't go fetch answers to queries
for which it is NOT authoritative. That is the job of the recursor.

Here's my config (irrelevant portions snipped):

---------------------------

config-dir=/etc/powerdns
daemon

launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=localhost
gmysql-user=MY_DATABASE_USER
gmysql-password=MY_DATABASE_PASSWORD
gmysql-dbname=pdns
gmysql-socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

local-address=64.192.186.66
local-port=53
recursor=127.0.0.1

If PDNS gets a query it can't answer itself, it'll send it to the recursor,
which is running on the same server. The recursor will go get the answer
from the appropriate DNS server elswhere on the Internet.

You'll generally want to set allow-recursion to only allow certain IPs to
make recursive queries, too.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table"   --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"