[Pdns-users] PDNS high load best practices

AJ McKee aj.mckee at druid-dns.com
Sat Jul 23 02:05:19 UTC 2005

Hi All,

The thread on "PowerDNS used in RBL deployment type scenario" raised an
interesting question for me and maybe others. What is the best way/practice
to set up PDNS for a scalable, high load, DNS network?

I have gone through the docs and mail list and have found some very useful
information, however I would like to hear from others whom have

a) more experience than me
b) actually implemented similar setups

I would not mind building and testing out solutions and documenting them and
publishing them on the trac wiki. If you want you can mail me off list with
information/pointers/gotchas in confidence so that you won't disclose any
information you don't want to.

Lets break it down into maybe a few specific areas,

1. Using PDNS & the gMySQL backend in a busy/high load DNS network
2. Using PDNS & the gPgSQL backend in a busy/high load DNS network
3. Using PDNS & the LDAP backend in a busy/high load DNS network
4. Using PDNS & the Oracle backend in a busy/high load DNS network
5. Using PDNS & other backend in a busy/high load DNS network

My aim here is to collate all the information that is already there, along
with your experiences and solutions to produce a definitive howto to
complement the existing documentation on the above. If someone is already
doing this, them please feel free to draft me in to help a bit. Otherwise,
what do you all think? If you think its worth doing then I will do it. But I
will need your input.

Thanks in advance,
AJ