[Pdns-users] PDNS Configuration and Optimal Performance Settings

Max Clark max at clarksys.com
Wed Jul 20 19:40:57 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I am currently configuring a test powerdns environment to ultimately
replace an aging Bind platform. This platform currently has several
thousand zones with quite a few resource records.

Based on my research I want to deploy a platform with a master PDNS
instance reading zone/rr data from a RDBMS system, which would have
several slave PDNS instances connected to the master to receive zone/rr
updates.

http://www.clarksys.com/~maxc/pdns_topology.png

We looked at using native mode operation for all of the instances but
ruled against it due to DB reliability (mainly because we don't want to
have to maintain multiple DB servers with data replication, being able
to take down a DB server for maintenance without disrupting the
Authorative functions is a big plus).

With this information in mind I have a couple of questions:

- What is the fastest backed to use for the slave operation? I am
assuming that for my configuration Bind would be the best option.

- What is the best way to configure the zones on the slaves? The
supermaster configuration would seem to be the easiest way to do this,
however I have only found examples for supermasters when the slave is
running against a DB backend.

Any other tips, tricks and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Max