[Pdns-users] Different IP addresses for the same name, but not round robin

srinisan at fmailbox.com srinisan at fmailbox.com
Wed Jul 20 17:30:47 UTC 2005

I'd like some guidance. I have a PowerDNS server serving a domain,
say "foo.com", with an LDAP backend of about 150-200 names under
foo.com. The server host has two Ethernet interfaces on different
subnets. Queries may come in via either interface.

Now, only for a handful of names in this database of 150-200 names, I
want PowerDNS to give out one address on i/f 1 and a different
address on i/f 2. For example, if a query for home.foo.com comes in
via i/f 1, it should answer 192.168.0.1, whereas the same query
coming in via i/f 2 should be answered 192.168.1.1. What is the best
way to handle this?

Is it possible to do the following with pipe backend?
Intercept the client queries to home.foo.com in the pipe backend, and
turn it in to a query for home_if1.foo.com or home_if2.foo.com to the
LDAP backend. Then pass back the LDAP backend's response over to the
client.

If that would work, is that the best way to deal with this situation?

I don't do any zone transfers, because I handle secondary name server
needs using LDAP replication and running another primary DNS server.
So, any solution you suggest needs to just work for regular queries.

Thanks