[Pdns-users] Errors relating to unicode with pgsql backend

David Levy dlevy at register.com
Sat Jul 9 22:42:58 UTC 2005

	I'm running into an intermittent issue where pdns hangs (this
happens fairly infrequently, but enough to be a problem).  The only
information I have to go on is the last thing I can see in the logs
before it hung:

Jul  8 06:04:35 pdns01 pdns-pdns[15437]: Backend error: PostgreSQL
failed to execute command: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding
"UNICODE": 0xe36f2e

	I can replicate this error in psql manually by sending the same
query through to postgres.   Postgres returns that error, but does not
terminate the connection.  The troubling thing is I get this error quite
frequently, so I can't say definitively that this is what is causing my
problem because it usually doesn't result in any hangs.

After increasing the log level I also noticed that I see the following
message right after the last one, unfortunately my log level was lower
the last time this happened:

Jul  9 18:13:31 pdns01 pdns-pdns[17689]: Distributor misses a thread
(2<3), spawning new one

Other messages of interest are:

Jul  7 23:04:30 pdns01 pdns-pdns[23641]: Received a malformed qdomain
from 60.37.14.182, 'e2j|www.lanxess.com': dropping
Jul  7 23:04:32 pdns01 pdns-pdns[23641]: Backend error: PostgreSQL
failed to execute command: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding
"UNICODE": 0xe36f2e
Jul  7 23:58:12 pdns01 pdns-pdns[23641]: 5037 questions waiting for
database attention. Limit is 5000, respawning
Jul  7 23:58:12 pdns01 postgres[23643]: [1-1] LOG:  unexpected EOF on
client connection
Jul  7 23:58:13 pdns01 pdns-pdns[2054]: Our pdns instance exited with
code 1
Jul  7 23:58:13 pdns01 pdns-pdns[2054]: Respawning

I get tons of the malformed qdomain and encoding errors.  The 5000
question limit message occurs less frequently, maybe once a day.  If
anyone has any ideas on what my issue can be, or how to further debug it
would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

-David