[Pdns-users] Internationalized Domain Names

Owen Borseth owen at domainsite.com
Thu Feb 24 15:48:21 UTC 2005

I have done a lot of work on IDN at DomainSite.com and Name.com, two
domain registrars that I work for. I wrote a Punycode converter in PHP
available at http://punycode.bluerider.com/idn/. All registries have
standardized on Punycode and the old RACE codes are no longer being
used. If the native representation was used in pdns it would not work on
the Internet at large because clients (mozilla, opera, various IE plug
ins, etc) query DNS using the Punycode string. I think any kind of
unicode -> punycode conversion taking place in pdns would just be dead
weight.

- Owen Borseth