[Pdns-users] FW: CNAME drives my crazy

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Wed Feb 23 16:26:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:15:58PM +0100, Michael Mertel wrote:
> sorry its me again, but I got no response to my initial post
> describing my CNAME problem.

I didn't see it.

> Am I totally lost here, do I try something beside the specs?
> We did this for ages with BIND, so I'am a bit confused.

Without reading this all too well, I'd suggest setting:
allow-recursion-override=on

allow-recursion-override=on|off

"By specifying allow-recursion-override, local data even about hosts that
 don't exist will override the internet. This allows you to generate zones
 that don't really exist on the internet. Does increase the number of SQL
 queries for hosts that truly don't exist, also not in your database. "

> But I still get no ANSWER section in dig if I try
> dig ANY www.mydomain.de

Try +norecurs, I bet you'll see answers.

The reason for this confusion is that PowerDNS first tries to answers
recursive questions from its own database. If it finds that it cannot supply
*all* data the client needs, which includes the right hand side of CNAME
expressions, it hands off the entire query to the recursor, which then can't
find yourdomani.

I'm not entirely sure if the allow-recursion-override host will help you in
this case, let me know.

Good luck!