[Pdns-users] isc dhcp and pdns

mm powerdns-list at mm.42h.de
Wed Feb 16 22:54:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:26 +0100, Szabó Ákos wrote:
> >> Can I use isc dhcp server dynamic dns update feature with pdns? Or any
> >> other dhcp server, which can cooperate with pdns?
>
> > You could however script something that updates the database, and not do
> > so over DNS (which is easily spoofed).
>
> Yes, this is a preferred way, but I can't found any hook point in
> dhcpd.conf. I can use a similar feature with samba /wins hook/, but not in
> dhcp, and I need to do something with it. I dug some info for scritping of
> the dhcpd, but I not found anything.

I guess you can only go the other way. Let the clients call some script
on the server to update their ip. Dhclient3 has hooks which you could
use, but you had to configure every client for this...

I wrote some cgi script to update records in the mysql backend, you
could extend something like this for multiple clients and let
dhclient-exit-hooks curl it.
http://manno.name/source/file/ruby/dynip_pdns_mysql.rb

Bind supports rfc 2136. And i just looked at udhcpd which seems to be
able to call a script after giving a lease to client.