[Pdns-users] primary & secondary DNS on one box??

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Sun Dec 18 15:33:48 UTC 2005

maciek at net2000.pl wrote:
> I want to configure primary & secondary DNS on one box using 2 NICs.
> Can i do it with powerdns using mysql backend? Anybody tried to do
> something like that?

Putting two NICs on the same network can be done, but is mostly
pointless. Also, yes, you *can* configure primary and secondary DNS for
a domain to point to different IPs on the same machine, but it defeats
the whole purpose of *having* the requirement (i.e., one DNS server is
down, the other should still ideally be reachable).

There are cheap and free DNS secondarying services, or you could get a
cheapo VPS and replicate your record set via MySQL replication to it.
The way you're talking about is done with many control panels (see
cPanel, Ensim, InterWorx, ...), but it's really the ghetto way to just
get around the requirement, it doesn't fulfill it at all.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net