[Pdns-users] Performance Tuning

Max Clark max at clarksys.com
Wed Dec 14 20:28:47 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have a pdns instance running against a mysql backend. The machine is
performing great and I will be consolidating additional servers/zones
onto these boxes. Given a higher volume environment, what should I be
using for the following configuration items:

# cache-ttl=20
# negquery-cache-ttl=60
# query-cache-ttl=20
# recursive-cache-ttl=10

How do these values impact the system as a whole, what should I increase
vs. keep the same?

Thanks in advance,
Max

Uptime: 31 minutes Queries/second, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 85.2, 89.5,
88.1. Max queries/second: 112
Cache hitrate, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 33%, 33%, 33%
Backend query cache hitrate, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 70%, 70%, 70%
Backend query load, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 117, 122, 120. Max
queries/second: 146
Total queries: 179972. Question/answer latency: 0.003ms

--
   Max Clark
   max [at] clarksys.com