[Pdns-users] Recursor Performance

Max Clark max at clarksys.com
Mon Dec 12 19:10:10 UTC 2005

I recently noticed that although the pdns_recursor process was running
on my namdserver that no recursive query was being answered. A "ps
-auwx" on the system showed the process still running. A glance into
syslog showed:

Dec 12 19:03:05 ns1 pdns[8860]: Recursive query for remote 207.171.33.41
with internal id 23 was not answered by backend within timeout, reusing id

A stop/start of the service resolved this problem but has left me
concerned with the reliability of the service moving forward.

What should I be doing to performance tune this service (i.e.
tips/tricks with the configuration file)?

What would cause the service to stop responding even though the process
was still running?

How do I provide a bulletproof recursive service?

I am running pdns-2.9.19 with 532, 533, and 534 patches on CentOS 4.2 i386.

Thanks,
Max

--
   Max Clark