[Pdns-users] PDNS -Server Failed

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Fri Aug 12 18:48:45 UTC 2005

On August 12, 2005 12:28 am, Andrew Turnbull <abturnbull at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I recently had a failure on my PDNS servers, where they both happened
> to go down at the same time (catastrophic power failure).
>
> But what I did notice was that all the domains they were authoritative
> for stopped working.
>
> IE when the PDNS server is up and running, from other networks with
> different DNS servers I can ping all the domains no problem. However
> when they went down the same pings from another network didn't
> respond.
>
> Its as if every request for the DNS name resolution goes to my server.

Of course it does.  Unless that remote site's caching resolver has
previously had reason to talk to your servers and has cached the answer
(usually, but not always, for the TTL time set in your response), in which
case it may use a cached answer.

DNS distributes the DNS namespace, but your servers are solely responsible
for your portion of that namespace.  That's why people put their backup
nameservers in different geographical locations, so they don't all go down
at the same time.

--
Alan Hodgson