[Pdns-users] reverse mapping setup not clear to me

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Mon Aug 8 00:04:10 UTC 2005

Richard Hubbell wrote:
> I've done some reading but haven't found the trick to get reverse
> mapping to work. I am using
> pdns and it talks to pdns_recursor.   From what I've read I think the
> reverse map file will be simple since I'm not authoritative for
> anything, and it should reverse map all requests.  Can someone give me
> an example db.* file so I can get this working?  Or is there a config
> that I can set for reverse mapping?  I notice the problem with
> traceroute.

"[R]everse map"? Do you mean reverse DNS? Reverse DNS is done in the
standard way, just like you would (pretty much) on BIND. For example, if
reverse DNS for 192.168.53.80 should point to 'server.example.com', it
would have the following information associated:

name                         type    value
80.53.168.192.in-addr.arpa   PTR     server.example.com

Other fields would be set as appropriate.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net