[Pdns-users] Question about Multiple CNAMES

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Sat Oct 9 09:57:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 01:39:34PM -0700, Clint Martin wrote:
> I can accomplish my goals this way.. This is how I have done it in the
> past..  I don't mind having to change my setup if this one just won't
> work, or is fundamentally flawed. ..

RFC 1034 section 3.6.2 says "A CNAME RR identifies its owner
name as an alias, and specifies the corresponding canonical name
in the RDATA section of the RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a
node, no other data should be present".

AFAICS nothing in RFCs 1034 and 1035 address multiple cnames,
however a few seconds of googling turns up

http://content.websitegear.com/article/load_balance_dns.htm

where it is noted that bind 8 will throw an error on your
configuration, but that setting bind option "multiple-cnames"
will allow it, and that A records in that configuration will be
returned in a round-robin fashion.

So, your configuration is in a very grey area :-) No idea if
pdns handles your configuration with round-robin.

> I was trying to keep the references to specific IP addresses
> limited to a bare few number of records.. This would allow me
> to modify the domain far easier and simpler than having many,
> many A records..

update records set content = '10.0.0.5' where content = '10.0.0.1' ;

:-)

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum