[Pdns-users] Recursion problems

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Fri Nov 12 18:50:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:53:55AM -0500, Josh Baird wrote:
> Nov 12 10:48:16 mail pdns[19083]: It is advised to bind to explicit
> addresses with the --local-address option
> It looks like its trying to bind localhost:53, which dnscache has already
> done?

Yes.

> How can I make dnscache and PDNS run simutaniously with no
> problems?

It is advised to bind to explicit addresses with the
--local-address option.

To have a "good" connfiguration, where you can add and remove
lots of domainnames with predictable and expected results, you
should consider dnscache and pdns two completely different
services, which happen to conflict because they bind to the
same port. Therfore you need two IP addresses. dnscache should
bind to whatever is in /etc/resolv.conf, and pdns should bind
to whatever the IP address of the nameserver is. If you are not
providing resolver services to other machines, but are providing
nameserver services, using 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf is
quite OK (dnscache certainly has a setting to bind only to
that), which lets you use your public IP for pdns.

HTH.

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum