[Pdns-users] SQL implementation questions

Ryan Baldwin rbaldwin at point2.com
Wed May 26 12:45:56 UTC 2004

Personally, I think it makes zero sense to have the SOA record as part of the domains table... I mean, if you really wanted to break the SOA record out of the normal records table, the best ides would to either normalize it and have an SOA table... but that's overkill... I don't see what the big deal is about having the SOA record's content all in a single field is... yea, sure, at first look it seems like it can be a real pain in the ass, but It's used so rarely that any pain in the ass that would exist would be totally moot.

In my SQL impelementation (SQL Server on Win Server 2000) I simply wrote stored procs on the domain and record tables to update the SOA serial whenever something outside of the PDNS app actually modifies a record (the front end I wrote, as well as another one of our web-apps that integrates PDNS).  Bing Bang Boom, done and done and it's lightning fast.

- ryan.