[Pdns-users] Best practice

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 8 10:00:35 UTC 2004

What is the generally accepted best practice for running multiple
PowerDNS servers?

Let me try and explain, Obviously at least 2 servers are needed.. If
those two servers are on the same network then they could query the same
MySQL DB but I would think it would be better to locate the servers on
different networks meaning that the same MySQL DB would not be availible
to both servers..

In this case is it better to move to a master/slave setup and use
PowerDNS to actually do the zone transfers between the two systems? I am
guessing that the primary sends out change notifications to the
secondary when zone changes are made to the MySQL DB..

I guess MySQL replication could be used but I think that it would be far
more difficult to get working securely over the internet based on my
skill levels.. Compared to getting PowerDNS to do it.. Unless the
general feeling is that MySQL replication is the only way to go for
whatever reason..

Thanks..