[Pdns-users] SOA record format

Harald Kapper hk at kapper.net
Wed Jun 23 05:14:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:12:26 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol at JustThe.net> wrote:

>The first SOA field gives the hostname of the name server authoritative for the
>zone. It has to be the server acting as primary, not one of the slaves.

uhm - actually especially pdns doesn't give a dime about who might or should be
the primary according to SOA - and in fact I have to admint I don't know any
specific reason why not a slave-server shouldn't be listed as primary (have to
admin our bind-servers still run sometimes as slaves from third-party-sources
while in fact the bind-boxes are "official" and so get listed in the SOA as
starting-server, which is technically irrelevant.

hth
Harald Kapper, icq# 36178328         kapper.net, inc.
managing director, owner,            loeblichgasse  6
chief executive officer              1090 vienna, .at
tel +43 1 3195500-0, fax +43 1 3195502, hk at kapper.net