[Pdns-users] Resolver looses sync

Martin Hoffmann martin.hoffmann at schlund.de
Tue Jun 15 12:19:04 UTC 2004

Hello,

we recently discovered that the resolver tends to loose sync during
a series of slave zone updates. This appears to be due to the timeout
in Resolver::receiveResolve() which makes the resolver think a late
answer is a for a new query. Excerpt from syslog (anonymized to
protect the innocent):

| May 10 07:02:14 pdns1 pdns[19749]: Error trying to retrieve/refresh
|       'aaa.de': Timeout waiting for answer
| May 10 07:02:14 pdns1 pdns[19749]: Error trying to retrieve/refresh
|       'bbb.de': resolver: received an answer to another question
|       (aaa.de!=bbb.de)
| May 10 07:02:14 pdns1 pdns[19749]: Error trying to retrieve/refresh
|       'ccc.de': resolver: received an answer to another question
|       (bbb.de!=ccc.de)
| May 10 07:02:14 pdns1 pdns[19749]: Error trying to retrieve/refresh
|       'ddd.de': resolver: received an answer to another question
|       (ccc.de!=ddd.de)

And so on and on until finally another timeout brings things back to
order.

Increasing the timeout helps but only a little, someone is always
coming too late.

Regards,
Martin