[Pdns-users] TinyDNS master & PowerDNS slave troubles

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Thu Jan 29 15:23:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:20:27PM +0100, Steve Karnadi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are slaving a zone in PowerDNS from TinyDNS and get the following error:
>
> Jan 29 12:53:00 miles pdns[83414]: Domain domainname is stale, master serial 1075048320, our serial 0
> Jan 29 12:53:01 miles pdns[83414]: No serial for 'domainname' found - zone is missing?

This in itself is not an error, PowerDNS finds that the zone is completely
absent on your server.

> Jan 29 12:53:01 miles pdns[83414]: Unable to AXFR zone 'domainname': EOF trying to read axfr chunk from remote TCP client

This is - it means that PowerDNS is having problems understanding the
TinyDNS AXFR format. Can you verify that 'dig' does get it? Can you tcpdump
the communication between master and slave and send me the results
(privately, if you wish)?

I think nobody ever tested this, DJB might have a different idea about
zone transfers than we do.

Regards,

bert