[Pdns-users] no AXFR to slaves

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sun Jan 18 21:23:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:17:44PM +0100, Michiel van Es wrote:
> Hi I have a couple small questions.
> a) can I completely switch from Bind to PowerDNS ? I used Bind as a
> master DNS server and for my internal LAN to forward all non authoritive
> answers to the root servers.

DNS does not work like that, there is no 'forwarding to the rootservers'.
However, in your case, you need to launch the pdns_recursor as well as the
main pdns server, and point the main pdns server at your recursor. Then it
will do everything.

> b) I am trying the PowerDNS package with PowerAdmin but when I update a
> zone (which is a master) I do not see any updates /AXFR's to the slave
> name servers:

How do you know? Do you raise the SOA serial on update? PowerDNS does not
notify its slaves otherwise.

> mysql> insert into domains (name,type) values ('domain.nl','MASTER');
> ERROR 1062: Duplicate entry 'domain.nl' for key 2
>
> So the zone domain.nl is active as as master.

Please show select * from domains, and select * from records of the relevant
domain.

Thanks.