[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor Question

Clint Martin clintm at laplink.com
Thu Jan 15 16:46:45 UTC 2004

yes, actually I do.. Although in looking at the records, I did notice
that my NS records were not
correct.  After fixing these, The Zone looks like this (if you need the
MySQL table info, let me know):

clintm at amnesiac:/home/clintm$dig clint.nt AXFR
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> clint.nt AXFR
$ORIGIN clint.nt.
@                       1H IN SOA       ns clintm (
                                        2004011502      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

                        1H IN MX        10 mail
ns                      1H IN A         127.0.0.1
mail                    1H IN A         127.0.0.1
@                       1H IN NS        ns
                        1H IN A         127.0.0.1
www                     1H IN A         127.0.0.1
localhost               1H IN A         127.0.0.1
@                       1H IN SOA       ns clintm (
                                        2004011502      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

;; Received 3 answers (9 records).
;; FROM: amnesiac to SERVER: 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 15 08:33:58 2004

And queries to non existant hosts in the zone still result in the query
being passed to the recursor (although doing the query with the
no-recurse option does return an authoritative NXDOMAIN)

so :
clintm at amnesiac:/home/clintm$dig bob.clint.nt +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> bob.clint.nt +norec
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      bob.clint.nt, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
clint.nt.               1H IN SOA       ns.clint.nt. clintm.clint.nt. (
                                        2004011502      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 44 msec
;; FROM: amnesiac.laplink.com to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 15 08:36:51 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 84

I think the following should return the same thing as above, without the
recursion:
clintm at amnesiac:/home/clintm$dig bob.clint.nt

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> bob.clint.nt
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      bob.clint.nt, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       3h24m25s IN SOA  A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. (
                                        2004011500      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 6 msec
;; FROM: amnesiac.laplink.com to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 15 08:37:29 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 105

Am I missing something?

Clint