[Pdns-users] pdns : still dumping core on me.

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Tue Jan 13 07:03:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:06:15AM +0200, Etienne Ledoux wrote:

> Jan 13 04:02:28 ns1 pdns[61256]: Recursive query for remote 196.29.240.1 with
> internal id 141 was not answered by backend wi
> thin timeout, reusing id'

This means that your recursing backend is slow, but that in itself should
not cause a crash.
> Jan 13 04:02:29 ns1 /kernel: pid 61256 (pdns_server), uid 0: exited on signal
> 11 (core dumped)

Can you run:

gdb pathtoyourpdns_server pathtoyourcorefile
and then enter 'bt' and send me the result?

> I think my server is fairly busy. If I graph the queries it seems like i'm
> averaging between 100-200 queries a second depending on the time of day.

100-200 queries is not very high.

What is the average uptime your freebsd pdns achieves? Can you run a tcpdump
to verify if certain queries trigger the problem? One of the best ways to
diagnose this is to recompile with CXXFLAGS=-g ./configure ... and run the
above gdb command after a crash. It will tell me exactly what goes wrong.

Good luck!