[Pdns-users] Windows - expanded

Ryan Baldwin rbaldwin at point2.com
Fri Jan 16 15:01:47 UTC 2004

Also, I should maybe put in my two bits that are meaningful as well.  I
think if PowerDNS for Windows was developed and maintained on a
permanent basis, you definitely would see some commercial interest.
It's a lightweight, fast, and totally configurable DNS server that's
exceptionally easy to integrate within an application.

I absolutely love working with PowerDNS w/ SQL Server.  Reason being:
Our .NET app here at work does all the select/updates/delete statements
via UpdateGrams.  When we took on PowerDNS it took me 15 minutes to
integrate it into the existing system (write select/update/delete
methods which make use of our UpdateGram classes to integrate with the
PowerDNS server).  It takes milliseconds to create domains, add records,
query, etc.

Before using PowerDNS we were using Microsoft DNS servers, and
integrating them using Windows Management Instrumentation classes.
Well, to add a zone would take 30 seconds, and that's after we optimized
the heck out of it.  The WMI classes are just inherently brutally slow.
Not only would it take 30 seconds to add a zone, but it would also
utilize the cpu at 100% for those 30 seconds... so of course, any time a
zone was added at the same time as another, that second add attempt
would fail.  Naturally, when we found PowerDNS, it was blissful, a sign
from the heavens, a blessing from the big guy himself.

I'm positive there's many, many developers out there like myself who are
fed up with Microsoft DNS servers and the fact that they're far more
complex to integrate within a system than they need to be.  A
database-backed dns server is an answer to our prayers.

- ryan.