[Pdns-users] performance issues

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Tue Feb 17 15:20:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:06:25AM -0500, Ken Scott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the last week after testing my new pdns server for a few months, i moved it into production.
> Answering dns querys for my mail server which requests dns answers about 1,000,000 times a day.
>
> but i'm getting way too much delay!
>
> my stats:
>
> Uptime: 16.8 hours Queries/second, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 0.00564, 0.0345, 0.074. Max queries/second: 68.5
> Cache hitrate, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 0.048%, 3%, 11%

This is impressively low, your server is also very very quiet. This tends to
make the latency measurements worthless. In this display, PowerDNS sees one
query every 177 minutes or so.

I suspect that previously the server was busy, but these numbers don't tell
me anything.

To be really helpful, please show me the output under load and the output of
'vmstat 1' run simultaneously. also, you do not mention your OS. If
available, also run 'iostat 1' simultaneously during the run.

> are there any configuration changes that i could make that would help improve performance?
> also i was hoping that others could maybe share some info on what they are using, and the kind of performance
> they receive.

Have you read http://doc.powerdns.com/performance.html ? Sure your indexes
are working? Especially on PostgreSQL this may require some doing.

In the list archives you will find some figures from Mike Benoit who has
little performance problems.