[Pdns-users] PowerDNS vs UltraDNS??

Andrew Mulholland andy at bash.sh
Sat Feb 14 19:33:54 UTC 2004

On 14 Feb 2004, at 19:19, AJ McKee wrote:

>> There would be zero problems. Additionally, you have a number
>> of open source programmers around the world that can fix any
>> problems you encounter.
>
> The only thing there I see that may be interesting is this "Directional
> DNS" stuff they talk about. Now a quick google shows that this is their
> talk for some type of "use the nearest web server" result returned from
> DNS. Now obvisouly I am gonna have to go away and have a look into this
> as I have never heard of this being done using dns before. Does anyone
> know if it can be done and if so, can PDNS (That magical brilliant
> piece
> of art) do the same thing?

it theoretically should be possible, if you write your own backend to
handle such stuff..

To do it properly, would mean giving the DNS servers a BGP feed, and
writing some kind of algorithm to return result based on the lowest
cost path.
This is how I believe the akadns.net stuff works, and also what BBC are
doing with news.bbc.co.uk.

what might be easier, is doing it using one of the geoip type
things...(http://www.maxmind.com/) but might not always return people
to the closest mirror etc.

thanks

andy