[Pdns-users] pdns 2.9.15 and ddns

Michel Stol michel at powerdns.com
Tue Feb 3 20:09:22 UTC 2004

Michael,

> I am rolling from a BIND product to pdns in about 4 months and need to
> find a solution for dynamic dns.  While secure ddns would be nice, we
> can successfully lock down the servers to prevent updates from out of
> the network.
>
> Clients:
> 	mostly Windows DHCP
>
> If anyone has a setup they would like to share, I would appreciate it.
> Questions it would need to answer are:
> 	What is used to link/process the ddns request to the database?
> 	OSS or proprietary?
> 	Are there database modifications necessary to allow/deny ddns
> updates from networks/servers/clients/etc.?

Dynamic DNS isn't built into PowerDNS itself, but it can be written very
easily as a standalone application, imagine this:

You're running PowerDNS with the generic MySQL, Postgress, ODBC or SQLite
backend
(or some other database driven backend).

You write an application (the DynDNS server) that just waits for DNS
updates to come
in. When it receives one it just connects to the same database where
PowerDNS
retrieves it's data from and updates the information.

PowerDNS will then use these updated values automatically.

How you implement the DynDNS server and client is up to you.

Greetings,

- Michel Stol