[Pdns-users] TCP Queries

AJ McKee aj.mckee at nmtbmedia.com
Thu Feb 5 22:56:51 UTC 2004

Hi All,

While working on a CDONTS issue on a windows server, I cam across an
interesting article on the MS site.

Basically it said the MS SMTPSVC may have problems resolving domains if
the dns server does not support TCP queries.

So I check my config and all seem fine. Checked IP tables and the
firewall. All seemed fine.

I am still using pdns 2.9.6 (must get around to upgrading). So I
followed the MS steps to check a name server. I.e.

Nslookup
Set vc
Set q=mx
Nmtbmedia.com

And lo an behold I get no reply.

So I am wondering if I should be worried? Could MS's nslookup utility be
broken, Or have I confed pdns incorrectly. I don't think I have as this
is my entry in the config;

# disable-tcp   Do not listen to TCP queries
#
disable-tcp=no

Any advice welcome.

Yours