[Pdns-users] dig any and wildcard handling

Martin List-Petersen martin at list-petersen.se
Mon Sep 22 10:29:32 UTC 2003

> we do have some problems with powerDNS and itÃ
½s wildcard handling (or
> at least we believe so). We have two wildcard entries for every
> domain. One for type A and one for MX. The MX wildcard just makes
> *.domain.tld point to mail.domain.tld

[snip]

> No Answer here... but if I ask specifically for A record I get what I
> expected:
>
> server2:~# dig @ns1.tmkis.de 2003.tmkis.de A

[snip]

> Strange anyway that you cannot dig for MX....
>
> server2:~# dig @ns1.tmkis.de 2003.tmkis.de MX

[snip]

> Any hints here?

Do you have an A record for mail.tmkis.de or just the wildcard for *.tmkis.de

I would expect most dns servers to dislike any MX record, thatnot is a reference
to an existing non-wildcard A record.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot se
--
You will visit the Dung Pits of Glive soon.