[Pdns-users] PDNS on Solaris questions

Andrew Mulholland andy at bash.sh
Sun Sep 7 23:30:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:03:09AM -0600, Shane Iseminger wrote:

> Problem is (on Solaris 8) that pdns_recursor dies (segmentation fault)
> when I try to use it -- I did implement the fix suggested in the April
> archives of this list. I've tried using the BIND backend too, but that
> gives a different error: "discarding untracked packet . . ."
>
> The archives mentioned the BIND error too, but no mention of a way of
> fixing it. Does anyone have either the recursor or BIND backend working
> on Solaris yet? An alternative is to move recursive DNS to a separate
> IP address, and I'll do that if I have to. But it would be nice to not
> use another IP for that.

What I do, is run dnscache from djbdns (http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html)
bound to 127.0.0.1 , and then tell PowerDNS to speak to 127.0.0.1 when
it wants a recursor.
I'm running this with the MySQL backend on Solaris 9 with no problems.

PowerDNS then seems to proxy recursive questions for the systems I allow
it to (my local subnet), to the dnscache daemon.

when I've got some time, I'll try the recursor in PowerDNS, and see how
it works under solaris9, in the mean time, the system I have above works
really well, and I'm very very happy with it. - serving ~150 domains at
the minute.

thanks

Andy