[Pdns-users] PDNS on Solaris questions

Shane Iseminger shane at ethosmedia.com
Sat Sep 6 17:03:09 UTC 2003

Hello all,

I've been looking for a solution that allows me to run DNS services on
a database or LDAP configuration for some time. I ran across PDNS
yesterday and it seems to be really slick and running well. I was
previously using a MySQL module for BIND, which worked ok but since
implementing it I've had some strange and unacceptable DNS problems, so
obviously that's not going to work!

I'm currently running secondary DNS on PDNS. If that works well I'll
move my primary to PDNS too, but I do need some recursive DNS services.
My mail server of course needs to query for many different domains, and
I have a few clients also using my DNS for browsing and such.

Problem is (on Solaris 8) that pdns_recursor dies (segmentation fault)
when I try to use it -- I did implement the fix suggested in the April
archives of this list. I've tried using the BIND backend too, but that
gives a different error: "discarding untracked packet . . ."

The archives mentioned the BIND error too, but no mention of a way of
fixing it. Does anyone have either the recursor or BIND backend working
on Solaris yet? An alternative is to move recursive DNS to a separate
IP address, and I'll do that if I have to. But it would be nice to not
use another IP for that.

Shane Iseminger
Ethos Media