[Pdns-users] CNAMEs to foreign Hosts

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sat Nov 29 16:34:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:13:39PM +0100, Damian wrote:

> What I'd like to do is having the possiblity to have CNAMES to Domains
> which are not handled by my nameservers:

Sure!

> test.com SOA 192.168.0.1 1
> test.com NS 192.168.0.1
> test.com NS 192.168.0.10
> www.test.com A 192.168.0.11
> www1.test.com CNAME www.test.com  ## works fine
> www2.test.com CNAME some.other.server ## does not work at all

That is fine, and does work. How do you ask the question to PowerDNS?

Ie, do you have your powerdns in /etc/resolv.conf? Which version of PowerDNS
do you run? On which operating system?

> As a recursor, I use some other DNS (Bind9):
> recursor=192.168.0.10

Does some.other.server exist? Can 192.168.0.10 find it?

> Is there a solution to this (except using A instead CNAME )

Try asking the question using dig, and report the exact output here.

Thanks.