[Pdns-users] CNAMEs to foreign Hosts

Damian pdns at c64.ch
Wed Nov 26 11:13:39 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm very new to PowerDNS so please excuse if my question sounds somehow
strange. I'm using PowerDNS with gmysql.

What I'd like to do is having the possiblity to have CNAMES to Domains
which are not handled by my nameservers:

test.com SOA 192.168.0.1 1
test.com NS 192.168.0.1
test.com NS 192.168.0.10
www.test.com A 192.168.0.11
www1.test.com CNAME www.test.com  ## works fine
www2.test.com CNAME some.other.server ## does not work at all

(some.other.server is neither hosted nor 'dns'd' at our place).

mysql-log puts out this:
select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='www2.test.com'

select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='*.test.com'

select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='*.com'

'host' returns 'Host www2.test.com' not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

As a recursor, I use some other DNS (Bind9):
recursor=192.168.0.10

Is there a solution to this (except using A instead CNAME )

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Damian