[Pdns-users] 2.9.4 -> 2.9.8 breakage

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Thu May 22 13:12:57 UTC 2003

I did some more work last night.  I recompiled pdns to use both the gpgsql
and the gmysql backends.  Results are inline.

> Firstly, the port install overwrote my configuration file.  But that's an
> issue for the maintainer, and not this list.

Another recompile resulted in the same thing.  Again, not an issue for the
list, just noting.

> I launched pdns in monitor.  I immediately started getting these errors:

Definining receiver-threads still results in pdns throwing an error, saying
it doesn't know the parameter 'receiver-threads'.

> (replace $gmysql-password with the actual value in pdns.conf)
>
> WTF?  After some diddling around, I managed to get pdns to connect by:
>
>     - removing password requirements for pdns.* in MySQL
>     - setting gmysql-password to be the *username* (i.e. 'pdns').

Using the gmysql backend still results in this.  Using the gpgsql backend
gives me clean and expected behaviour.  As pre my previous note, I don't
have any dynamic modules laying around.  The only thing I can think of is
the MySQL libraries on the pdns machine are 3.23.55, and the MySQL daemon is
3.23.56.

> So now that that's working, let's try the recursor.  I run a separate
> recursing daemon on a separate server, and am using that.  I set
> $allow-recursion to be my two private networks, and localhost.  Some
> quick test showed that:
>
>     - localhost cannot do recursion
>     - external cannot do recursion
>     - the two private LANs can do recursion
>
> Okay, I can deal with that.  But then I do some more tests.  If I look up
> from the two private LANs, all of a sudden, looking up from localhost works.
> Alright, so let's test external.  Yep, that works too.  Uh-oh.  BTW, I've
> just re-verified that this is the case, using 'login.yahoo.com' as a test
> object.  External recursive lookup fails, then internal recursive lookup
> works, then external recursive lookup works.

Yep, this is still happening as well.  I verified this a number of times
last night.  However, localhost can now do recursion (it may have just been
a mixup on my part initially).

> Finally, I moved one of my domains to be a 'master', as the secondary for my
> domain is broken, and won't ever refresh the domain if it doesn't get a
> NOTIFY.

It turns out that my SQL tables were rather incomplete.  I've created the
tables as per doc.powerdns.com (*EXCELLENT* documentation!), and have
successfully started pdns with my domain as MASTER instead of NATIVE, now I
just have to actually test it...  :)

  - Damian