[Pdns-users] 2.9.4 -> 2.9.8 breakage
damian at sentex.net
Thu May 22 13:12:57 UTC 2003
I did some more work last night. I recompiled pdns to use both the gpgsql
and the gmysql backends. Results are inline.
> Firstly, the port install overwrote my configuration file. But that's an
> issue for the maintainer, and not this list.
Another recompile resulted in the same thing. Again, not an issue for the
list, just noting.
> I launched pdns in monitor. I immediately started getting these errors:
Definining receiver-threads still results in pdns throwing an error, saying
it doesn't know the parameter 'receiver-threads'.
> (replace $gmysql-password with the actual value in pdns.conf)
> WTF? After some diddling around, I managed to get pdns to connect by:
> - removing password requirements for pdns.* in MySQL
> - setting gmysql-password to be the *username* (i.e. 'pdns').
Using the gmysql backend still results in this. Using the gpgsql backend
gives me clean and expected behaviour. As pre my previous note, I don't
have any dynamic modules laying around. The only thing I can think of is
the MySQL libraries on the pdns machine are 3.23.55, and the MySQL daemon is
> So now that that's working, let's try the recursor. I run a separate
> recursing daemon on a separate server, and am using that. I set
> $allow-recursion to be my two private networks, and localhost. Some
> quick test showed that:
> - localhost cannot do recursion
> - external cannot do recursion
> - the two private LANs can do recursion
> Okay, I can deal with that. But then I do some more tests. If I look up
> from the two private LANs, all of a sudden, looking up from localhost works.
> Alright, so let's test external. Yep, that works too. Uh-oh. BTW, I've
> just re-verified that this is the case, using 'login.yahoo.com' as a test
> object. External recursive lookup fails, then internal recursive lookup
> works, then external recursive lookup works.
Yep, this is still happening as well. I verified this a number of times
last night. However, localhost can now do recursion (it may have just been
a mixup on my part initially).
> Finally, I moved one of my domains to be a 'master', as the secondary for my
> domain is broken, and won't ever refresh the domain if it doesn't get a
It turns out that my SQL tables were rather incomplete. I've created the
tables as per doc.powerdns.com (*EXCELLENT* documentation!), and have
successfully started pdns with my domain as MASTER instead of NATIVE, now I
just have to actually test it... :)
More information about the Pdns-users