[Pdns-users] Weird errors, like not able to resolve "localhost"

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Wed Mar 19 02:51:35 UTC 2003

bert hubert wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:24:05PM -0800, Ian R. Justman wrote:
>
>>Hey, all.
>>
>>Ever have any weird errors where you can't resolve "localhost"?  I've had
>>those periodically on one of my servers.
>

> Can you add a 'localhost' 127.0.0.1 record to your authoritative database?
> Can you supply more details about your setup? Do you run with the pdns
> recursor? Via the proxy? etc

<belated>

I already put a record for "localhost" in for the domain that I have the
resolver configured to search through by default, ian-justman.com.

And I tell PowerDNS to pass queries requiring recursion to a backend, in
this case, pdns_recursor, which I rebuilt after your fix to it had been
posted to the list.  Up until that time, I had been using pdnsd.

Though I could have pdns_daemon only answer authoritatively then have the
local system talk dircectly to the recursor for queries requring recursion.

Recommendations?

</belated>

--Ian.