[Pdns-users] Serial number required?

Willem de Groot willem at byte.nl
Mon Mar 3 16:50:13 UTC 2003

Hello,

Is it right to conclude that pdns doesn't require a serial
number in the SOA field if working in a sql replication setup?

I added my zones with only 'nsa.byte.nl' as SOA content. The nameserver
check of the Dutch domain registry [1] seems to accept this, except for
some weird cases. If pdns lacks a serial number in the SOA record, it
seems to make one itself. But it looks like it does that at random (?)
intervals. The serials are increased every minute or so. In my situation
this gives a problem because sometimes the serial of the 2nd nameserver is
higher than the 1st.

Is it fundamentally right to leave out the serial numbers in the SOA
field?

If so, how do I sync the updating of serial numbers between the two
nameservers (that use replicated mysql databases).

Thanks!

Willem

[1] http://www.sidn.nl/sidn/flat/Domeinnamen/Aanvragen/Nameserver_check/index.shtml