[Pdns-users] Fancy-records and urlredirector

A/S ScanNet - Dan Faerch dan at scannet.dk
Thu Jun 12 12:58:01 UTC 2003

> People expecting other DNS resolvers to work with this completely
> proprietary, non-standard DNS RR will be very disappointed. Whose idea was
> this? Are they trying to break things?
I think you completely misunderstand the concept.. The URL is NOT a new
record type.. You cannot do
host -t URL www.test.com
and get a reply..

The URL is an internal thing in pdns.. Upon requesting www.test.dk (stored
internally as a URL record) youll get an A record..
Even a zonetransfer wont show any URL records..

It would be exactly the same as manually making an A record, pointing to a
specific webserver that knows where to redirect users requesting
www.test.com. The URL type just makes it a little easier, since i can store
my information in one table instead of having a seperate table for storing
the "www.test.com to www.whatever.com" pair..
So basically its just an internal syntax that you may use.. eg. Bind has
internal syntaxes as well, that does automaticly make them  "proprietary,
non-standard DNS" records..

If i have been unsuccesfull in convincing you should try reading the manual:
http://downloads.powerdns.com/documentation/html/fancy-records.html
or do a zonetransfer of 'fake.dk' and see if you can spot the URL record..

> DNS is not equipped to serve URIs/URLs.
Correct.. And neither is pdns.. *pointing finger towards the manual* :)

- Dan Faerch
A/S ScanNet