[Pdns-users] Nysql topology

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Tue Feb 25 10:56:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:05:47PM -0800, Graham White wrote:

> mysql box and the slave connected to a second mysql box that is using
> mysql replication? If this is the case then I assume that I don't need
> to configure master=yes  and slave=yes on the respective DNS boxes and
> any insert queries for a new domain would be:
> insert into domains (name,type) values ('powerdns.com','NATIVE')

Indeed, this is how we do it.

>             If I wanted to configure the more traditional master/slave
> setup using serial numbers do I still need two separate database
> backends for each nameserver? If so then on the mysql box that the
> master uses you do an insert on its database like so for a new domain:

You'd need two separate database names indeed.

> Is this correct? Then we can use serial numbers etc. According to the
> docs, by simply updating the serial number on a postgres backend will
> notify the slaves, is this true for mysql as well?

Generic MySQL and Generic PostgreSQL have identical code in PowerDNS and
work alike in all ways. And indeed, you'd then use notifications.

Let me know how I can help further.

Regards,

bert

http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting