[Pdns-users] The state of Win32 support?

Nick Fisher nick at infotechsys.com
Tue Dec 9 23:37:33 UTC 2003

Hi Michel,
 Thanks for the reply....

> > 1) What versions are supported?
> > It would appear from the generall tone of the manual that all of the
> > releases of pdns work on windows. However there are only installers
> > released
> > (http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/win32/) for upto 2.9.6, yet the
> > most
> > recent source download for Win32 is 2.9.12. Also in the relese notes for
> > 2.9.13 there is the following:
> > """
> > Big news! Windows is back! Our great friend Michel Stol found
> the time to
> > update the PowerDNS code so it works again under windows.
> > """
> > Again? Did it stop? Why?
> The Windows version was tested succesfully on Windows NT4, 2000, XP and
> 2003.
So...... were versions 2.9.7 through 2.9.12 working on Win32? I'm still a
touch confuzed.

> I was hired by PowerDNS to do the initial Windows port, now I'm just a
> (unpayed) volunteer with a
> lot of other things to do.
Basicly Win32 support is user-base provided.... it's not maintained by
PowerDNS... yes?

> > 2) Required to compile?
> > Will Win32 installers be released for each version of pdns (they don't
> > seem
> > to be)? If so when is the 2.9.13 version going to be avaiable?
> >

> A 2.9.13 installer is already available for download (for testing
> purposes)
> at:
> http://michel.physos.net/powerdns/powerdns-2.9.13.exe
Cool... many thanks.

> > 4) Footprint
> > How beefy will the hardware need to be on a Win2k machine? Could I get
> > away
> > with using something like a PII266 with 128MB?
> Depends on the amount of queries you fire at it, that setup probably
> will be enough for an average load.
Heh... naturally. I was looking for some ball park figures... nothing exact.
If some Win32 users could let me know what they are using and how the
hardware is holding up I would be most intrested.

Many thanks....

  Nick

PS. Sorry to all about the double post (of the first message) and sorry to
the moderator for mailing from the wrong address... my bad.