[Pdns-users] Round Robin DNS Failover under PowerDNS

Ben Merrills ben at griffin.net.uk
Mon Dec 1 09:40:37 UTC 2003

Thanks :)

I've made quite a few improvements to the original version, a full list
of the changes and new features can be found at the rrhelper website
(http://muad.xdev.net/rrhelper.php).

I'm deciding if I  create a version of rrhelper that works via backends
(maybe pipe).

I would also like to add the ability to fail over or round robin on
things such as CPU load or another SNMP monitorable value (defined by
the admin).

If anyone would be interested in seeing the development of this, please
let me know.

Cheers again :)

Ps. Source only at the moment for version 0.1.5, it says beta, but it's
quite well developed, could do with some bug reports if anyone is using
it :) I suggest people use Mono for anything done under linux/freebsd.
I've tested it on both windows, linux and freebsd.

Ben Merrills

Griffin Internet

http://www.griffin.com

Robin
> > failover DNS updater for PowerDNS (at the moment, only those using
MySQL
> > backend). It's just a simple process with an XML configuration file
that
> > scans groups of servers and waits till the current master times out,
> > then updates to the next in the list (if it's alive). It will keep
doing
> > this till all possibilities have been exhausted.
> >
> > On failover or chanveover, dnsmanager can be made to execute a
process
> > or script. I used this to send myself a text when the DNS changeover
was
> > made.
> >
> > If you find this at all useful, or would like any assistance getting
it
> > working (it's written in .NET so compiles under both Mono and .NET
1.1,
> > and has been tested on both (release binary compiled under mono),
please
> > email me (bugs_at_xdev.net). Although this version is still in beta,
> > it's very stable and mostly just lacks good error output for
> > configuration parsing.
> >
> > Find the tar and binary at:
> >
> > http://muad.xdev.net/Projects/dnsmanager/
> >
> > Ensure you setup the servers.xml before running the application.
> >
> > Also, the command line to launch dnsmanager is as follows:
> >
> > ./dnsmanager --config /path/to/servers.xml
> >

> > Thanks again, hope this is handy to someone else too!
> >

> > Ben Merrills
> > Griffin Internet
> > http://www.griffin.com

> --