[Pdns-users] General help please ... A -vs- CNAME records.

Frederic Trudeau ftrudeau at zesolution.com
Tue Aug 26 21:31:14 UTC 2003

Grettings, im not sure if this is the right list to post into, but I really
need some poitners badly now. This is urgent.

I order to have some some of redundancy in case for server failure on some
sort, I had the idea of configuring very short TTL for services such as
mail, ftp, and web.

The 'primary' domain on my machine is ZESOLUTION.COM

Thus, I create A records for mail.zesolution.com, ftp.zesolution.com and
web.zesolution.com, all with a TTL of 60

Then, for the domains I serve, a typical DNS entry contains this :

polluxdesign.com MX mail.zesolution.com
mail.polluxdesign.com CNAME mail.zesolution.com
ftp.polluxdesign.com CNAME ftp.zesolution.com
polluxdesign.com CNAME web.zesolution.com
www.polluxdesign.com CNAME web.zesolution.com

Now, all I get are DNS errors when trying to access
http://www.polluxdesign.com, but http://polluxdesign.com/ resolves ... im
really confused.

I tried debbuging with a simple host command, here's the ouput.

[root at moebius control]# host polluxdesign.com
polluxdesign.com is an alias for web.zesolution.com.
web.zesolution.com has address 65.39.170.60
[root at moebius control]# host www.polluxdesign.com
[root at moebius control]# host -t CNAME www.polluxdesign.com
www.polluxdesign.com is an alias for web.zesolution.com.

And if it can help, where is the mysql data associated with this domain :

mysql> select name,type,content,ttl,prio from records where domain_id = 5;
+-----------------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
--------------+------+------+
| name                  | type  | content
| ttl  | prio |
+-----------------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
--------------+------+------+
hostmaster at zesolution.com 2003082604 | 3600 |    0 |
| polluxdesign.com      | NS    | ns1.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |
| polluxdesign.com      | NS    | ns2.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |
| www.polluxdesign.com  | CNAME | web.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |
| polluxdesign.com      | CNAME | web.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |
| mail.polluxdesign.com | CNAME | mail.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |
| polluxdesign.com      | MX    | mail.zesolution.com
| 3600 |   10 |
| ftp.polluxdesign.com  | CNAME | ftp.zesolution.com
| 3600 |    0 |

Any pointers would be very very much appreciated !