[Pdns-users] Zone transfers and load balancing PowerDNS.

Mike Benoit mikeb at netnation.com
Fri Aug 1 23:26:06 UTC 2003

We would like to load balance PowerDNS in hopes of getting "true"
fail-over, load distribution, and to increase our uptimes even further.
I realize DNS has fail-over built in, but there is much room for
improvement.

One of the main issues we face is with zone transfers and our replicated
MySQL backend. MySQL only supports Master -> Slave replication (Master
<-> Master would solve this issue of course), so all zone transfers have
to go to NS1 (Master), which will then be replicated to NS2 by MySQL
itself. Now in a load balanced system, we can't control, or even force
zone transfers to go to NS1.

I was thinking perhaps adding a new option to PowerDNS similar to how
LDAP works. When a request to write to the database comes in to a slave
name server, it basically just connects to the master database server
and forwards the SQL query off to it. (which then immediately replicates
back to the slave database server)

Has anyone else delt with this issue, or have any bright ideas as to how
we could solve it?

--
Best Regards,

Mike Benoit